This moist and flavorful cake is so good that I’ve made it many times. You can always count on this recipe when you need to make an impressive dessert.
*I don’t recommend using a springform cake pan for this cake, because it may leak.
Ingredients (for 10″ pie pan)
4 medium Granny Smith apples
4 extra large eggs
1 2/3 sticks butter (make sure it’s soft; keep it out of a fridge for about one hour)
2 lemons (you will need zest of 2 lemons and 3 tablespoons lemon juice)
1 vanilla bean (or about 3 tablespoons vanilla extract)
1/2 cup and 1/3 cup sugar, devided
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup water
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. First, make the filling. Peel the apples and slice them into thin slices (leaving the core out). Peel the zest of two lemons and chop it finely.
2. Heat one cup of water in a small pot, adding 1/3 cup of sugar, half lemon zest, 3 tablespoons lemon juice and vanilla bean (or 3-4 tablespoons vanilla extract). When the syrup starts boiling, add apple slices and cover the pot. Stir to make sure all the apple slices are covered with the syrup and boil for about 3 minutes (until translucent and soft). Drain the apple slices and discard the syrup and vanilla bean.
3. Using an electric hand mixed, beat butter with the rest of the sugar, adding eggs one by one.
4. Add the rest of lemon zest, flour, baking powder and beat until the dough is smooth.
5. Butter the pie pan and sprinkle breadcrumbs all over it.
6. Spread about half of the dough into the pan. Add the lemon and apple filling on top and cover it with the rest of the dough.
7. Bake for 40 minutes on 350F until lightly browned. Let the cake rest until cool for about one hour and transfer to a serving plate. To do this, cover the pan with one plate and turn the pan upside down. Remove the baking pan and cover the pie’s bottom with the serving plate and turn upside down again.
8. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top and enjoy! Delicious warm or cold.